Charity Challenge (open)Saturday, March 10, 2018
10:00am-4:00pm; lunch available for purchase at the club
Chair: Carol Jones
Participant release form
Curl for a cause - raise funds for your favorite charity and awareness for your organization. Gather up four or more friends, co-workers or relatives to compete in this great event. Pick a charity of your choice and raise donations. Then come down and curl! Teams get points for dollars raised and rocks scored; the team with the highest total gets bragging rights and keeps the trophy for a year (sorry, like the Stanley Cup you must bring it back). Seasoned curlers provide coaching and instruction.
The Charity Challenge:
- is for non-curlers and first year curlers.
- is an exciting fund raiser
- is winter sport at its best
- welcomes spectators. Bring signs and cheer for your favorite team!
Fees (covers equipment and ice rental, snacks, lunch, and awards)
- $50 per team of four entry fee plus $10 for each additional person on the team
- Entry fee due Friday, March 2, 2018.
- Raise money for your charitable cause. Bring a cash or a check made out to the cause to the event with you
- Dress for 40 degree temperature on the ice surface
- Wear loose fitting/stretchable slacks. Jeans are not recommended.
- Carry clean flat soled shoes to curl in. Street shoes cannot be worn down to the ice.
- 10:00am registration
- 10:15 am entry fees collected
- 10:45am orientation
- 11:00am practice
- noon lunch (included in entry fee)
- 1:00pm games
- 3:00pm awards ceremony
2017 Charity ChallengeSaturday, November 11 featured a "full house" as SUNY Upstate Medical University brought in 48 novice curlers and filled up all six sheets. The Veterans Day event was held to introduce everyone to the great sport of curling and to raise money for the "Kids with Cancer" Fund at their very own SUNY Cancer Center in Syracuse.
The introduction and practice took up the late morning and then the teams marched to the ice shortly after noon. Only one person stepped over the hog line in the one-ice parade to the hoots and hollers of the others awaiting the expected purchase of an alcoholic beverage later in the day.The six match-ups fought hard through
their 4 end games. 6 winners, 6 losers, but fun had by all.
Squads also had the opportunity to design their own team shirts as uniforms, and let's just say the team names and logos were as varied as the level of skill shown throughout the day. The event raised more than $900 for the charity.
Each curler and guest Curling Club coach also received a small memento from the day, a custom curling rock stress ball. A nice treat to remember a nice day.
Thank you to sponsors, coaches, ice crew, and staff for introducing people to the sport of curling while helping worthwhile causes in the community!