Loading...
 
Print

Club History

The Erie Canal had just opened up the West, and the Age of Immigration was beginning. Thousands were coming to America from the British Isles and Europe drawn by the promise of food, jobs, and prosperity. The Mohawk Valley, with its abundance of waterpower and its strategic location in relation to transportation, was on the leading edge of industrialization. The population of the area was growing rapidly, and two out of three Uticans were born in foreign countries or were children of immigrants. In this great "Melting Pot", the heritage of these new Americans tempered the area with new traditions and customs. The earliest recorded curling events locally were organized by Scotch and English textile workers in Clark Mills in 1832. In 1855, the sport moved to lower Campbell Pond (now Twin Ponds) in New York Mills where it flourished for more than 20 years. Many Uticans were part of this group and traversed the three mile distance in horse drawn sleds.

Benjamin Allen, who arrived from England in 1832, was an expert stonecutter and worked on the Erie Canal Expansion, the Chenango Canal and various other building projects. He was an avid curler that participated in the games held on the Chenango Canal, the Globe Mill Pond in West Utica, Butterfield skating rink on Jewett Street, on the Erie Canal, and sometimes on the Mohawk River flats.

Allen purchased property that contained Ballou Creek where it emptied into the Erie Canal. By damming the shallow section of the creek near Rutger Street, he was able to form a large ice surface that could be used for curling and ice skating. In 1868, he formed the Utica Curling club. In 1874, the rink area was fenced in and a small shed with wood-burning stove was built. That same year, the New York Mills Curling Club merged with Utica and joined the Grand National Curling club as the Utica Curling Club.

To reduce the shoveling that curling outdoors required, a large building was erected in 1891-92 that could house 3 sheets of curling ice under cover and could also be used for skating. Refrigeration was provided by opening the large windows on three sides of the building. It was known as Rutger Rink and was home of the Utica Curling Club until 1916.

The facility was willed to the Utica Curling Club by Benjamin Allen's son, W. Fred. In 1916, the city of Utica, looking to expand its boundaries and expand Rutger Street eastward, paid the Club nearly $20,000 for the building and property. The club bought property on Francis Street and began construction on the new Clubhouse in October of 1916. The building housed 5 sheets of ice and again, refrigeration was provided (or withheld) by Mother Nature through large windows in the curling shed. Even though no curling clubs had artificial ice prior to World War I, A.S. Brinckerhoff, a member of the building committee and long time ice chairman of the old Rutger Rink, had insisted that a basement room in the new Francis Street building be designed to hold equipment for ice-making.

By 1923, the membership limit of 180 had been reached and a waiting list established. Then came two disastrous winters of thaws, uncompleted schedules, and wrecked bonspiels. The natural decision followed - an artificial ice plant was installed. As a result of old "Brink's" foresight, when the York Ice Machinery Co. made the installation in 1925, not a single change had to be made in the basement to accommodate the equipment.

The depression of 1930-39 demanded rigid economy and required individual financial aid to tide over some unbalanced budgets, but curling never declined. It grew gradually, even through World War II, and then membership sky-rocketed in the late 1940's. The 1947 initiation to women to curl gave the club its most pronounced increase in membership. The women took to the Roarin' Game, and became associate members when the Utica Glengarries was established in 1948 (women did not gain full membership and voting privileges until 1990). Mixed curling became a staple of the club, and our famous Mixed Bonspiel was started in 1953. Teenagers began to curl in 1954; Little Rockers (ages 6-12) in 1989.

A major expansion was undertaken in in 1958-59, which was also the first time that all five sheets had matched stones. In 1962 a new ice base was installed, with indirect refrigeration which removed the hazard of pressurized ammonia gas inside the curling shed. The interior was upgraded in 1975 and 76 (paneling and modern kitchen). Most importantly, our stones were replaced at the start of the 1985-86 season with the new Ailsa Craig insert stones with modern plastic handles.

In 1995, the Francis Street club was destroyed by fire. But by 1996, a new facility with 6 sheets of ice had opened on Clark Mills Road in Whitestown. It was then that the Phoenix was adopted as the Club's symbol. Since then the building has been modified for wheelchair curlers and others with disabilities.

(drawn from the booklet created by Tom Garber for the 125th anniversary of the club)



Calendar


Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
10

Upcoming Events

1)  Wed Oct 08, 2014 07:30 pm
Try Curling
Try Curling at the Utica Curling Club. October 8, 9, 10. Public welcome.
2)  Mon Oct 13, 2014 06:00 pm
Learn to Curl
Pre-season learn-to-curl clinic for new curlers. $10. October 13 and 15.
3)  Mon Oct 13, 2014 07:00 pm
Rink Draft
Eligible skips choose teams for Rink League.
4)  Sat Oct 18, 2014
Our House is Your House Bonspiel
The perfect first event for those who have not curled before and want to try something fun.
5)  Sat Oct 18, 2014 06:30 pm
Opening Party
Season-opening party for new and returning members.